Friday, June 29, 2007

God's Heart





The Rubatano volunteers are, without question, 37 of the most beautiful people I know. Although it's true that they are a good looking bunch:), what gets to me are the hearts, eyes, and passion of my Mozambiquan co-workers... jabbing where it hurts.


On the last Friday of every month there is a workshop for the volunteers, so today was the day. Sarah and I have taken turns teaching various things at each workshop and today was my turn. Carlos asked me not to teach today, but to preach, and to preach from my heart. I must tell you that as I stood before these men and women who pour themselves out on a daily basis while facing the same struggles of illness and poverty in their own families, I felt completely inadequate. Who am I to speak to them? They are the ones who should be speaking to me, and I told them so. I am leaving, but they will remain and continue to love, grieve, struggle... they have taught me so much more than I could ever teach them. They genuinely are sad that we are going home and say they will pray most earnestly that God will tell us to come back. They understand that we must follow Him because they, also, have discovered that following Christ is where life dwells.


I could sit and explain in detail how I have seen the heart of God in each and every one of them. Please pray for these men and women. Pray that God will bless their efforts and provide for their families. I am humbled at their selflessness in giving the little that they have, and long to follow the example that they set. Do you remember the story in Luke 21 when the poor widow brought as her offering only two very small copper coins? Wealthy teachers of the law scoffed at such an offering, but Jesus knew that she had given all she had. It was her gift that was acceptable to Him. Quite honestly, that makes me a little bit uncomfortable. I think it is in God's Word to do just that.

No comments: