Friday, September 28, 2007

Chicago Marathon Preview

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ouMsZIwOkag

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid717784762/bclid1126074425/bctid1213869027

Here are two links of Chicago marathon videos. The first one is done by World Vision and the second is a general one that shows the course through Chicago. I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!! I'm even dreaming marathon these days:). With only 9 days to go until October 7th, I've been reflective about how God has used this season of training in my life. I have thought often of Hebrews 12:1...

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us..."

Back in early April when our training was beginning to extend far beyond my normal exertion level, I remember finishing a run and being completely discouraged. It was hot, I felt like I was slowing Sarah down, and my feet were covered with painful blisters. I wanted to quit at that point, but I remember God saying... "I want you to endure." That's all I needed to hear. Training for this thing has taught me discipline, which is extending to other areas of life where I have needed to be more disciplined. Running gives me extended periods of quiet, and is an awesome time to just BE with God and clear my head. He often paints beautiful sunrises for me to gaze upon, or sends a deer bounding across the road just when I need some encouragement. I have gotten to know my body... when to push, when to rest, what I should and shouldn't eat, etc. Pushing towards a goal that seemed impossible and now feeling like it is most definitely possible has encouraged me more than I can say. It has made me stop still more than once in total amazement at these bodies that God has so masterfuly woven together.

Hopefully this marathon won't be the first and last!! Next year I'm hoping to run 2 half marathons and 2 or 3 full marathons, with a long-term goal to qualify for Boston eventually. For this I have a long way to go:). 3 hours and 40 minutes is the required time, and for next Sunday's marathon my goal is 4 hours and 30 minutes (and if I don't get it I won't be surprised). So I need to speed up... cut my time from 10 minute miles to 7.7 minute miles.

A friend once said to me that just because a person runs, that doesn't make him/her a runner. I laughed at this, but often find myself thinking about it. I wonder if it can also be applied to us and to God, and if it can, then how? One of the many things I think about during the miles and miles...

There are a few more days to donate to Team World Vision! I am running for a 5-year-old Ethiopean boy name Fuad. He's adorable! Again the website is www.firstgiving.com/ginnahelen

No comments: