Monday, October 15, 2007

Poor and Needy

This morning I sat in the lounge of a large hospital, reading Psalm 40. "...He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD..." I could feel the tears coming, but pressed on to the end. "Yet I am poor and needy, may the LORD think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; oh my God, do not delay." I looked up to see the top of Sarah's very familiar curls bouncing in the door, and was glad for a familiar face. We went together to the new employee orientation day, and talked about Mozambique most of the way through it. All evening I have been unpacking box after box in my sweet little apartment. Freshly painted, new appliances, with many little projects to work on as I go. There are 3 other apartments in the house, one inhabited by my dear dear Rachel. My immediate neighbor in the upstairs of the house is a girl named Ryan, who works at a sewing shop in town. Rachy and I are positively thrilled about this, as both of us need to learn how to sew.

This evening Sarah's dad, Rich, came over to help me assemble my new bed. 100 pieces of wood, a bag of screws, and an instruction manuel are worthless to me. His assistance was an unbelievable blessing. There are people in the world who are so close to Jesus that His kindness just pours out of them. When we had finished the bed I was pulling it into the corner and caught it on my toe, which instantly started bleeding quite heavily. Rich dropped to his knees and began wiping up the blood, holding pressure on the toe while I reached for Band-Aids. He didn't need to do that and it cut deep. I felt the love of my Lord through a selfless act of servanthood extended to me.

I've never lived by myself before, so this is a first. Sometimes I think it will be fantastic, and other times I wonder if I will feel lonely. I imagine that would be of God with a purpose in mind. In the morning I will go to work, meet new people, learn new things. I will come home and continue unpacking. I will go for a run through Lindenwood park and soak up every minute. I will drive to Wahpeton to meet with my new friends on the university campus there. And I will dream... always dreaming. This is life now. It is so different I can't believe it sometimes, yet it's really not so different after all. God still asks the same of me here as He did in Africa. To draw closer to Him, to look outward, to pray, to love people, to love justice, to be stretched, to press on, to grow, to listen, to follow. I am learning to be content... learning, even, to love this very moment.

No comments: