Thursday, August 23, 2007

Lazarus and Jesus

John 11

I love this story. I especially love the part that says, "Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. SO, when he heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was." (v. 5-6) In every effort to avoid rattling off what this verse means "to me", and risking an interpretation of the text that is not the same as what God actually intended, I will only say this... I am so comforted to know that God's timing and mine are not the same. When I'm struggling with patience I look here, and realize that just because I might think He is being slow, that is not necessarily the case. There is also the wondrous assurance that while we are waiting, Jesus loves us (as He loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus). So. That word "so" intrigues me and I think about it often. Anyway, I just wanted to put a little plug in for John 11 today, in case you need something awesome to read. It gives me the chills every time. Who is this God that we follow?!?

Today I did a mass perusal of the blogs of friends back in Africa. I check up on these dear ones from time to time, but never all at once because it is just more than my fragile emotions can handle at the current time:). Today, however, I hit them all. If you have followed along with the journey of Sarah and me over the past year, I would love to refer you to www.wivafrica.blogspot.com. This is the blog of Jean-Aimee Gifford, who is a nurse currently working with Brooke in Mozambique. The four of us overlapped for several weeks before Sarah and I left, and the two of them are truly an answer to prayer. Reading Jean-Aimee's stories I found myself in tears... my heart breaking at times, my soul rejoicing at times, and always my entire being longing to just be there. Especially hard (and wonderful) to see were the photos... our house, a sick orphan boy named Joalinho, the land, and a shot of the two girls with Carlos and Pascua, two visiting Hands at Work volunteers, and a little boy from the mission... Callum Beecher, who was my personal best bud. At moments I feel like Africa is only a step away... like I could go around the corner and say "Mascati" and the Giuas would be there giggling... or go for a run and it would somehow be on the dusty hills of South Africa.

Shouldn't this whole "Africa thing" be working its way out of my system? It isn't. Maybe that means something... I hope so. Even if God is asking me to stay here for a while, maybe it means that He isn't finished with me there yet. To all of you treasured ones far far away... I miss you. You are deeply loved.



You may remember me talking about my patient and friend, Amelia. Please keep on praying for her... I believe God is doing a great work of healing in her life in more than one way. In the above photo she is trying not to laugh and failing miserably. I love it. These photos were taken right before we left Mozambique. The difference in Amelia from the first photos we have of her is truly unbelievable.


No comments: